MattePainting.Org

MattePainting.Org (http://mattepainting.org/vb/index.php)
-   Articles (http://mattepainting.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   LCD vs CRT (http://mattepainting.org/vb/showthread.php?t=4305)

rapscaLLion 09-15-2005 07:12 PM

I guess mine is not the opinion you'd like to hear because I am not (yet?) a professional, but I am also thinking about switching to dual LCD's (from dual CRT's). I would suspect however, that issues come into play with how true the monitor's representation of color is, I know some LCD's tend to exaggerate color. I would also hazard to guess that the LCD's refresh speed would affect anyone working with compositing matte paintings, so something with high timings would not be recommended. The monitors I am looking to buy are samsung models with 8ms refresh times... pretty much the fastest I could find.

Another question you'll want to ask yourself: What resolution do you prefer? Because many LCD's only perform well at their native resolution and look poor at others.

Davibuddha 09-15-2005 11:05 PM

Hio,

By far the best LCD I've seen and used is the Dell FP2400w 24" monitor, also 12ms timing, with gigantic 1920x1200 HD res ready. The color range and gamma is amazing for an LCD, so much that I finally replaced my old 19" viewsonic CRT I've had for 6 years. You can get it cheap on a deal sometimes at 899$ at places like bensbargains.net, regular is 1199$ I think. It's brighter and better than the new Apple cinema displays, runs DVI and on most video cards out today (not needing dual-link DVI capable cards like the Apple's 30" screen). That's my reccomendation, but like much else, shop around and do much research before investing in such a monitor, I did extensive searches on the web and reviews before buying (and it came really cheap with the deal for an LCD of this resolution!)

Hope that helps!

Jay_Gladwell 09-16-2005 05:29 AM

You may want to take a look at Planar. http://www.planar.com/

chickensoup 09-19-2005 01:23 PM

my experience with LCD's vs. CRT's is that I generally prefer a CRT for color accuracy and values. I've noticed after using Sony 21inch wide LCD and the Apple Cinema Displays, that the black levels aren't accurate. They tend to drop on the low end, and I've had matte work that was done on the LCD's show matte lines on a CRT. They do look pretty and slim, but I wouldn't recommend them for painting. I've also had issues where my gamma values changes from using a LCD and then switching to a CRT. I spent more time checking my makeshift photoshop levels gamma LUT's on an LCD than I did on CRT's. LCD's are great for websurfing and home entertainment systems, not for professional work.

-drew

kevjenkins 09-23-2005 02:46 PM

dont bother with lcds, i am afraid as far as color calibration and accuracy crts are still much better.

jfrancis 10-22-2005 01:59 PM

I have to admit I'm pretty happy with my HP 2335.

Perspex 10-24-2005 11:35 AM

Hi, I'm not a matte painter pro...but I'm a pro designer and webdesigner working in advertising agency...You will never see a LCD screen in production department...as say upper, problem with calibration are legion...want no problem?? Use a LaCie CRT... we all use LaCie in advertising industry.. :D

Jessy 10-24-2005 01:04 PM

After some long talk about LCD VS CRT... I dicided to go with the Dell ultrasharp LCD. Didn't receive it yet, so I did not have time to play with it, but here is what convince me to do the change...

First, if you paint with 2 screen, if you have 2 LCD, they will keep the same ajustment. Also if you are sending your work to an other LCD monitor, you know it would look exactly the same in your client office that it those on your own.

Also the LCD (and that's an opinion many person in the industry have) is closer to the luminosity of film (when project in theater) then a CRT monitor.

Also, because it is more "bright" it's easier to see mistake in your painting. I think the problem we have is the bright feeling of the LCD... we are not use to it. But If LCD become the standar than I guess, its luminosity will be the reference. Since then, and because we are use to it, CRT will continue to feel more natural, but I think it is just a question of habit.

Storm 12-08-2005 12:06 PM

hi @all,

thinking about buying a new monitor i found out that the LaCier 22" blue is not produced anymore...after looking on the internet for a while i am thinking to swicht to TFT´s....i found this one after comparing many..the Eizo FlexScan S2410W...http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/S2410W/spec.asp

so, what do you think about this one? good enough for matte painting and illustration? or still buy a crt (iiyama or so...)

cheers,
rene

rrische 12-08-2005 12:47 PM

My $0.02- go with CRT's. I wouldn't do film work on anything else.

I have Viewsonic's at home. I recently did a couple paintings
for a commercial, sent them in to the client, and when the spot
finally aired, said "Yup, they look the same."