MattePainting.Org

MattePainting.Org (http://mattepainting.org/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://mattepainting.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Launching "Tutorials" Page, stuff for beginners and professionals (http://mattepainting.org/vb/showthread.php?t=7409)

Garrett 12-05-2011 05:58 AM

Launching "Tutorials" Page, stuff for beginners and professionals

Hey MattePainting.org-ers,
I am currently a Digital Matte Painter working in the film industry. I have been doing matte painting for a while and have felt the desire to want to give back in some way. I also want to contribute to a tighter nit matte painting community where we all keep sharing knowledge.

So I have created a “Tutorials” section of my website where I am posting some tips and tricks of the trade for people getting started and also posting gadgets, tools, shaders, etc for the more advanced industry crowd.

I have posted some beginner stuff now and I will be rolling out some more advanced stuff within the week. If you want to be notified when those are available, follow me on twitter (@gfryart) or get my RSS feed off my website.

Here are some posts available now:
-What does a Matte Painter Need to Know?
-Some Advice for getting into Matte Painting
-Locations photography for Matte Painting
-EMI Creator: Great for Photoshop Brushes

Here is some stuff coming out this next week that you might think is cool:
-Nuke Projection setup with MARI Bridge integration.
-Setting up Multi Projections in Maya
-Maya Shader to view Multi Patch MARI Models
-Nuke/Mari Bridge Gadget for to use Multi Patch MARI Models in Nuke.
-Nuke Tree Card Gadget

Come take a look and leave me some comments. This is the first time I have done tutorials so some feedback would be cool.
Thanks
Garrett Fry
www.gfryart.com

Garrett 12-05-2011 06:11 AM

add a note

Looking around the forum just now I see people charging for tutorials and stuff. I wanted to add here that all the information I give is free. :)

milind.kharade 12-05-2011 10:34 AM

good work 'Garrett'

brujahbart 12-05-2011 10:48 AM

great stuff Garrett this will become a regular place I visit. Thank you for your selfless work

rockhoppermedia 12-05-2011 11:03 AM

Garrett thank you for sharing, you are now bookmarked,

Rich

kyote 12-05-2011 12:16 PM

Thanks Much, this is great...
I'm really looking forward to the Nuke matte painting set-up...
Most tuts I find are more about the 3d workflow while I'd love to see the Nuke node tree to a matte painting so I could break it down & see what the artist did....

Jadrien 12-05-2011 12:44 PM

This is great! Thank you.

emptyslot 12-06-2011 06:19 AM

It's a nice read! great work

nickmarshallvfx 12-06-2011 08:00 AM

I think there can often be a disconnect between the people who want to offer advice like this and the people who actually have the experience and insight to offer advice that is really going to be of use. I found myself agreeing wholeheartedly with almost everything I read in there at a quick glance.
Your advice will probably be a great help to people, its just the sort of advice I craved when I was getting ready to look for jobs, thanks for sharing this!

gfilmman 12-06-2011 01:56 PM

@Garrett
Way to go. Not much of use to me yet but I'm looking forward to the multi-camera projections. Did you work with Michael Pangrazio when you were at Weta art dept?

@Nick
Are you saying there are pros offering bad advice, or non-pros offering bad advice, or...?