MattePainting.Org

MattePainting.Org (http://mattepainting.org/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussions (http://mattepainting.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Any Black - listed clients? (http://mattepainting.org/vb/showthread.php?t=7576)

de gerardo 06-26-2012 03:29 AM

Any Black - listed clients?

deleted by Gerardo

nickmarshallvfx 06-26-2012 05:48 AM

Sorry to hear that dude, not getting paid always sucks! Hope you manage to get your payment - late is better than never...

I have always been pretty lucky where this type of thing is concerned. I have worried a couple of times when I didn't hear anything for a while, but was always paid quickly when I chased it. I haven't done too much freelance, but I do usually ask for 50% up front, and the remaining 50% on delivery just to be safer.

Hope it works out for you dude!

Alex Jenyon 06-26-2012 07:27 AM

The 'you'll get paid when we get paid' BS was unfortunately fairly common when I was freelancing in London.

In the UK, there are quite a few different pieces of legislation you can use - for a start, you are allowed to add a late payment fee to the late invoice, and claim interest. Clients REALLY don't like paying the late fee, and will try to pay the original amount only, but I did manage it. You also have the option of taking a late payment to the small claims court, which would result in a county court judgement (CCJ) against the company.

Other countries may have similar rules - where it could get complicated is if your client is in one country, and you are in another, or if you never actually signed a mutual contract.

One approach that worked for me in serious situations was to fill in the paperwork for the small claims court (it doesn't take very long), and send a copy to the client with a note that it will go in the post in 7 days unless they pay. You need to be prepared to actually go through with it, but I never had to - this did the trick.

Any of this will probably burn your bridges, and you won't work for this client again. But if they waste your time, and don't pay, then you don't want to, right?

Hope you get this sorted soon. Would be great to have a 'black-list' of clients who habitually don't pay freelancers, but there isn't a non-libelous or non-dubious way of doing it, so no-one has. How would you police it, and what would happen if someone blacklisted a company they didn't like for other reasons?

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, just someone who hates being paid late.

AJ

de gerardo 06-27-2012 06:19 AM

Deleted by Gerardo

de gerardo 06-29-2012 05:21 AM

Alright,
-so just think twice when you will considering to work for someone (edited clients name)
Edited by Gerardo

gfilmman 06-29-2012 07:23 AM

Hey Gerardo,

Sorry to hear about your situation, and thanks for your concern. However, I don't know if publishing the client's name here is the best approach. Certainly it must be a little risky from a legal standpoint and could potentially land you in trouble for dragging someone's name in the mud. The thing is, we don't know the circumstances and it's a your word against his situation.

I hope it gets worked out. If I was a moderator here I'd definitely close this thread, probably delete it and so forth because it's not really something for public discussion in my view.

Sure, if you and your trusted friends have a black list, you can (if you want) circulate it, but again that's risky imho.

g

de gerardo 06-29-2012 07:58 PM

Yeah, I've got promise, I will get what i suppose to, so I've deleted my posts.
Than you guys! I just wanted to warn you with my situation, that this could happen to anyone else.
- be careful :)