HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page hello, problem of realism
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

hello, problem of realism
(#1)
Old

Default hello, problem of realism - 07-23-2009, 10:02 AM

hello, it's the first time that I post on this site and by reading some advice about and criticize,
I think that I shall have of the make it much earlier :p

the subject of my picture was to make a realistic mattePainting, no magic, not of fantastic, just a photo-realistic decor

problem, it is that I am good in proportions and perspective, but me really feels a discomfort when I look at it.
I do not reach has determine if it is the colour or other things that prevents me from stopping seeing the tricks of my mattepainting

so if you have advices, things that I shall not have seen by working over, I am opened.

good day :p

original plate

final

Last edited by Ourlak; 07-23-2009 at 10:05 AM..
(#2)
Old

Default 07-23-2009, 10:56 AM

As far as the technical part is concerned, the matte painting is almost done. Maybe black and white levels could change a bit, but this is already looking good.

But, I think It feels wrong because of the composition. You could just take a picture outside your house, it would be real, but not necessarily feel good. I'm sure you understand what I mean. Right now, the two big structures on the sides send the viewers eye to the background , towards the vanishing point. But there is nothing of interest there so it is a bit weird.

It is nice to see that some people really try hard to achieve a very realistic result and not just settle with whatever comes out. I admire your determination. You also have a nice gallery, congrats.

"www.alexpopescu.net"
(#3)
Old

Default 07-24-2009, 04:12 AM

if I understand, the big problem of this picture is that she does tell nothing with his framing and that it is therefore more difficult to make it realistic.

ok, i will work different now, framing in first time and matte in second, not matte with just simple original photo

thank you aksu for your comments and encouragement
:)
(#4)
Old

Default 07-24-2009, 05:04 AM

I think it's a very good matte...matte paintings for movies do not need a subject, they are just backdrops and I think this one is excellent...so unless you're going for an illustration, this is done as MP for movie like...;)

"Digital Art is like magic...and we are all it's Wizards"

-Tiberius Viris-

(#5)
Old

Default 07-24-2009, 10:02 AM

If the FX guys matted in a boat coming down the river, then you've got your focal point. Nice matte. As has been posted previously, this would be a good establishing shot.
(#6)
Old

Default 07-24-2009, 01:40 PM

If you're going to be really technical, the horizon line of the background plate doesn't quite match the horizon line of your foreground buildings - it's too low. The boat nearest us also looks like it's got a black matte line around it, and hence looks more illustrative than photo-real.

Being really, really picky, the background plate doesn't look like it's in as bright sunlight as the foreground buildings, either.

These are fairly minor issues, though - this really isn't a bad painting at all in terms of realism. It's just not a very good composition for a shot - the focal point is dead in the center of the frame.

Sometimes you have to work with plates much worse than this in production, so it's probably not a bad exercise...

Good job.

AJ

Head of 3D Digital Matte Painting: MPC Vancouver
Personal Website
(#7)
Old

Default 07-30-2009, 07:28 AM

:) :) :)
thanks "Suirebit" and "KurtF" for your encouragements, and thanks "Alex Jenyon" for your technical constructive critiques, I needed it :)
you all gave me really good advices!
i think to stop this matte now.
because i think this exercise is finish. but i'll starting an other, in ice this time, always in a way of realist but with a reel concept in first, good composition, and a better photo construct.

thanks all, i go back to work :p
see you soon

Last edited by Ourlak; 07-30-2009 at 07:30 AM..
(#8)
Old

Default 08-19-2009, 01:10 AM

well acording to what others say dosent matters until u know what u are trying to do and what is your final matte..what i can say if itz for a film or any series..itz overall a perfect matte..u jus need to add some haze behind and highlight on ur matte...thats it..overall itz realy a gud matte paint.