Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page run down new york WIP
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

run down new york WIP
(#1)
Old

Default run down new york WIP - 07-05-2010, 01:05 PM

hey guys

just working on this atm for a university project. Ive done it from this POV as green screen footage will be added to the close rooftop.The next thing im gonna do is start adding the destruction :) but I thought id get some feedback on the perspective and composition before I progress.

Look forward to your comments

[IMG][/IMG]
(#2)
Old

Default 07-06-2010, 01:16 AM

I assume you're asking this because you can see there is SOMETHING wrong with the perspective, but can't work out what it is?

Take a look at your vanishing points - I've marked them on a copy of your image.

The orange lines mark the 'horizontals' of your perspective, and you are right - they should all eventually end up at the same vanishing point. However, this vanishing point shouldn't be on the canvas - it should be way, WAY out of frame to the right hand side.

All of your horizontal lines are therefore artifically angled into a 'compressed' perspective, a bit like a very wide angle panorama (which this isn't).

So yes, you've got the theory of vanishing points spot on - you've just put one of them in the wrong place!

I would personally be cranking up SketchUp at this point (it's easy and free) to make a block model of the scene, but it's probably not a bad idea to work it out by hand as an exercise, just so you know you can.

I think some of your verticals are slightly off too, but this isn't so much of a problem (particularly if you going to destroy it).

Hope that helps

AJ

Head of 3D Digital Matte Painting: MPC Vancouver
Personal Website
(#3)
Old

Default 07-27-2010, 10:34 AM

here is some more work in progress

(#4)
Old

Default 07-27-2010, 11:57 AM

Perspective is looking better! I would work on the lighting. What is the time of day and weather conditions that you are going for. The image has a lot of dark in it at the moment which obscures lots of detail. Whilst dark can be good for mystery I'm not sure you're going for a shot that's in ambiguous space. I would take a look at the histogram of shot similar to the one you are going for and look at the distribution of light and dark. Then take a look at the histogram of your own image and compare. I think its all too easy to get caught up in creating contrast between bright and dark areas and forget about addressing the mid tones.

I might also look at the size distribution of the buildings. I think your previous iteration was slightly stronger on size distribution. That is, people like looking at images which have lots of different sized objects in them, some small, some large etc. At the moment most of the buildings take up a similar amount of screen space.

Looking good though, hope what I said is helpful, Iíll check back to see the next version!

Dante Harbridge Robinson
dantehr.co.uk
(#5)
Old

Default 07-31-2010, 07:20 AM

hey guys.

heres the latest iteration of my piece. Ive used the same texture in places to keep a sense of cohesion. started lighting it too. i want to convey a almost sunset style light but its very overcast with pollution

again all c&c are welcome