HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page WIP Bridgetown
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

WIP Bridgetown
(#1)
Old

Default WIP Bridgetown - 07-25-2010, 11:31 AM

Current work at the moment, thought you might appreciate it.

Done in sketchup imported into PS and worked on using phot elements. First time I have ever worked with a non plate element. lots to do more to come

Rich

Cheers Rich

HTML Code:
http://www.rockhoppervfx.luxipics.com/
(#2)
Old

Default 07-26-2010, 11:11 AM

Looking great so far. Can't wait to see this when it has some mood to it.

mattejourney.blogspot.com | mordecaidesign.com
(#3)
Old

Default 08-14-2010, 02:41 AM

work so far, been playing around with the image. What I do always is do a precomp this is the precomp, with effect, colour mood and elements integrated. this enables me to finite any probs with the comp and look for any glaring problems. I also flip it vertically to check weight and comp.

Then I remove the comp elements and curves and work on the RAW image. This will be my next step, I desperately need a stormy/sunset cloud for the sky with shadow on the left and rim lighting and lightsource sun (right).

This is by now way finished, just the major plate elements composed. I also need some help, does water recieve shadow and how do I create a bump map for the water.

look forward to your comments

Rich

Cheers Rich

HTML Code:
(#4)
Old

Default 08-15-2010, 03:49 AM

work so far, I think I am the bravest forum member here i have a habit of showing process and mistakes airing my laundry in public. Do I care?

Not really if someone learns from this the better, however if you notice anything please give me some help and reply, 300 views and no comments, matte painters are a voyeuristic lot.

Cheers more to come

Rich

Cheers Rich

HTML Code:
(#5)
Old

Default 08-15-2010, 08:11 AM

work so far is it finished, have no more time left to do it now.

Rich

Cheers Rich

HTML Code:
(#6)
Old

Default 08-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Just a couple of comments at the end of the day.

Keep posting those progress things. Those are usefull and we can also see that you didn't just take the easy way (just picking already amazing stock photo) but instead doing the work. So my respect for that.

And my apologies for a looong silence here. There has been a lot of things going on, couple of moves (home and studio), and in next couple of weeks I still have to move our home an another time from temporary summer apartment to something more stable - and build the new studio... And then there is that thing called summer vacation and if not busy enough with those - then _a lot_ of work. So I actually missed this one (and probably many other images too). I'll try to catch up before Christmas...

But back to the topic. These are just notes just before going to sleep and after a loong day so keep what is usefull and forget the rest. I'd still pay some attention to lights and shadows, directions and intesities. Back/side light is quite strong and could create stronger shadows and darkers colors at the shadow side. There is also difference in sharpness of shadows (comare ship and the bridge).

Depending on the "lens" the direction of the bridge shadows may or may not vary. Check the directions of those that they match the lightsource (it seems to be a bit larger and bit more right that those shadows/speculars indicate).

edit: Sails and upper parts of masts could use some highlights, since they seem to go above the bridge and houses and could catch some light and create interestin detail.

Foreground (ship, right side of the bridge) could have stronger contrast. Now the strongest contrast seems to be here and there: at the black roofed building behind the ship, some thing behind the fourth arch of the bridge, building at the right and background ships/platform at the left.

Sun seems to shine trough the building at the right.

Shadows/water could use some subtle complimentary color to make it pop a bit (or at least same hue to left water than it is in the left sky) , but that might be a matter of taste.

Bright cloud exactly above the masts of the ship might be compositionally funny.

^ hmm. I sound angry. Time to sleep, but this is meant to be just some observations and hopefully some help. Keep going. Enjoying your posts and projects.

Last edited by halen; 08-15-2010 at 01:24 PM..