MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Artists Showcase
Reload this Page Added more work samples to my site ...
Artists Showcase Final, Finished Work Only (NO WIP, NO Critique)

Added more work samples to my site ...
(#1)
Old

Default Added more work samples to my site ... - 05-20-2005, 08:14 PM

First off, I'd like to thank all of you that have responded/replied to my posts. I apologize to anyone I haven't gotten back to directly as it has been a fairly busy year for me so far ("knock on wood"...)

With a little time to catch my breath, I've been able to update my site:

http://www.digitalscenics.com/updatespage.html

One of the projects I also worked on recently was a trailer shot for The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe. This shot could have turned out to be phenomenal, but unforntunately didn't - at least it's only on screen for barely 24 frames, and has a couple mermaids (courtesy of Rhythm & Hues) jumping in front of my painting. I offer it up as an unfortunate example of what happens way too often in this biz: WORKING WITH BARELY ANY TIME WHATSOVEVER! (What you see on screen represents exactly two days of painting, even though we were working on the shot, concept-wise, for nearly 3 weeks).

Well, regardless, LWW defintely looks to be interesting. And who knows: I may still end up working on the actual film, but hopefully with more time to actually do a decent job.

Thomas Esmeralda | Digital Matte Artist

website at: www.digitalscenics.com
(#2)
Old

Default 05-21-2005, 10:46 AM

I just saw the trailer and it looks pretty good.
Nice work esp. when you had only 2 days!
Did you at least have concept art for that shot to work from and at least something to start from? (3d, photos, textures etc) I imagine there's a premuim paid for such last minute work.
It's beautiful by the way. I think you did the shot well.
I imagine it's probably only going to be on the trailer?
Which company contracted you for that shot? R&Hs?
Something about the forest shot the kids are overlooking that bothers me though.

You know something about production that i've learned and was told to me by my superiors...choosing between quality and speed..speed will always win out. It's unfortunate that it's at the expense of quality but it's a fact.
I imagine broadcast matte painters have alot of presure due to time constraints..but film one should have more time for just because of the length of time to complete shots.

+smooth+
(#3)
Old

Default 05-21-2005, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth
I just saw the trailer and it looks pretty good.
Nice work esp. when you had only 2 days!
Did you at least have concept art for that shot to work from and at least something to start from? (3d, photos, textures etc)
One concept painting done months ago; nice painting (I worked with the aritst before on Shrek), but here's the usual case when it comes to being handed concept paintings: They usually have no pertinence to the shot (i.e. doesn't explain structure in relation to the actual camera move, also usually was done months ahead and no longer has any pertinence to the edit - like, "it's not sunset anymore, it would actually be midday")

Quote:
I imagine there's a premuim paid for such last minute work.
It's beautiful by the way. I think you did the shot well.
I imagine it's probably only going to be on the trailer?
Which company contracted you for that shot? R&Hs?
Actually it paid crap (the group I was working with was trying to "get more work," but had to "prove" itself ... oh man, don't get me started...
R&H did the mermaids and final comp, but we did the rest of the environment.

Quote:
You know something about production that i've learned and was told to me by my superiors...choosing between quality and speed..speed will always win out. It's unfortunate that it's at the expense of quality but it's a fact.
Yes & no: You are actually expected to deliver on both (which is BS!). A few, more established matte artists/facilities will actually turn away work if the situation really stinks. Of course someone will always be there to say "yes" to it, even if they know the situation is bad, and it usually shows (again, I thought my shot turned out just okay, and that's mainly because it goes by so quickly)

Quote:
I imagine broadcast matte painters have alot of presure due to time constraints..but film one should have more time for just because of the length of time to complete shots.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! In a lot of cases I know of, it's acutally THE OPPOSITE!

Thomas Esmeralda | Digital Matte Artist

website at: www.digitalscenics.com
(#4)
Old

Default 05-21-2005, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesmeralda
Actually it paid crap (the group I was working with was trying to "get more work," but had to "prove" itself ... oh man, don't get me started...
Yeah I've heard this one b4.

+smooth+