HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page Winter Apocalypse - Feedback Wanted
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

Winter Apocalypse - Feedback Wanted
(#1)
Old

Default Winter Apocalypse - Feedback Wanted - 11-30-2006, 11:34 PM

Just did a quick matte painting today since I had never had a chance to do something in the snow and ice. Any way would like to get some feedback on this first effort.

[/url]
(#2)
Old

Default 12-01-2006, 01:04 AM

wow wow woah ... I realy realy love forground and midground ...
:shock: :shock: great job ... heh but the city ... it's just my idea ... I don't like that too much ... I think it's very blury ...
cheers ...

Hi:)
Lovely idea...
(#3)
Old

Default Lovely idea... - 12-01-2006, 08:55 AM

...and who DOESN'T like a good "Nature wrecked the city" shot? :D

I love the boat, and the bridge, but the latter needs more details. The Brooklyn Bridge is such a great structure, and it's got so much to offer in terms of bricks, girders, loose suspension cables, ice on the cables, ice on the bricks, etc... The boat could use some ice love as well, I think. For the amount of snow laying around, that boat must be pretty warm to not be piled up and over with snow or ice.

I know you said this was a speed-paint, but is there any chance you could make it NOT a speed-paint?

I have to agree with ehsan about the city. If you were shooting this with a camera, your Fstop would be super low to to get infinity focal distance. The background can fade back for distance, but not blur.

We need details, man! ;) Don't stop now!

Great start. :D
(#4)
Old

Default 12-01-2006, 09:13 AM

hang some cables of the boat and that will give you a visual clue how much it is leaning. As you eye wonders around the picture for orientation. It is also monochromatic a accent colour like red somewhere will lift the image i think. A fire engine on the bridge, or yellow taxicab which is iconic of new york. This would give the midground some sort of scale.

however i like the image apart from f2.8 on the camera aperture. If you shoot at f2.8 in the snow you have a danger of overexposing. f11- f22 you would be able to control over exposure however the depth of field would be greater. So no blurry buildings and looking at the lens info 60mm- 105mm the shot would be at infinity and the boat would be calculated at hyperfocal distance so the background would be sharp as a box of samurai swords.

This is a great image and i love it not fussy and tells a story

Well done

sorry for getting technical

Rich. :D

Cheers Rich

HTML Code:
http://www.rockhoppervfx.luxipics.com/