MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Artists Showcase
Reload this Page Lots of new work
Artists Showcase Final, Finished Work Only (NO WIP, NO Critique)

(#21)
Old

Send a message via ICQ to syntik Send a message via MSN to syntik
Default 02-09-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan

syntik-I respect your opinion, but alyn's planets all have the benefit of being against a dark sky. I was placing mine against a bright blue sky and I didn't want any unreal auras or anything. Think of the moon during the day. And it was an image of the sun... spherizing courtesy of nature:)

ah okay i get ur point.. but i dont quite agree.. u said that alyns planets are all against dark sky.. it doesnt really change anything.. in the process of doing the planet u can easily set down the opacity fo the "black shadow" layer.. then merge it when u import it into ur mattepainting and then set it to a blend mode such as screen? that would give the result ur looking for.. however i do understand that when set to screen or similar modes certain details of the background shimmmer through.. but could it not work setting the shadow layer of the planet to the color of the sky would that not give u the same result?
but nonetheless stunning matte :)

God i love 3ds max
(#22)
Old

Default 02-13-2008, 08:57 AM

Hey Swoop- Thanks, I am glad you like the new site. Currently, I am freelancing from home on a few films.

Syntik- You are right, you could absolutely screen Alyn's planets against a blue sky, I just wouldn't want that result. In my opinion his work his work is more stylized and would be great for sci-fi book covers. I personally don't like seeing plasma auras and fill light on planets. Or if I did, I would expect to see it in a space shot, not through the atmosphere of a planet. Look at pictures of Jupiter, it looks like a big marble with no embellishment at all. No glow, no fill light. If you didn't know it was real, it would look fake. So what it boils down to is yes, I could do what you are saying, I just wouldn't. It is always a balance between what looks cool and what looks real. And in cases about giant alien planets in the sky, it is open for a lot of interpretation.
(#23)
Old

Default 02-13-2008, 09:22 AM

Dylan, you're absolutely correct. That looks just like the giant alien planet in the sky from my home planet. It made me homesick :cry:

Love your work, man. Look forward to your next DVD.

My Blog: -http://ventanastudios.blogspot.com-
(#24)
Old

Default 02-13-2008, 10:32 AM

always an inspiration. Love the new work, especially the coke ads. Looks like alot of fun and hellish amount of work! : )

Can't wait to see more of your dvd's. You ever thought of doing breakdown movies to show the build up of the matte paintings - would be interesting to see it build up layer by layer?

rich
(#25)
Old

Default 02-13-2008, 10:40 AM

Did i miss something? This talk on new Dylan Cole dvds, is there something planned for release in the near future?!? :D

Digital Matte Painter // Forum Moderator
(#26)
Old

Default 02-13-2008, 11:27 AM

great to see the web updated, I was wondering when will you do it :D For a while you just disappeared :P I absolutely love the new Coke work

So, you're freelancing now? :) I actually asked you about this in a mail but you haven't got the chance to answer yet :P

"Digital Art is like magic...and we are all it's Wizards"

-Tiberius Viris-

(#27)
Old

Default 02-13-2008, 11:30 AM

Actually Dylan I emailed you a question about 6 months ago but never recieved a reply to that? Did you ever recieve an email from me?
Anyway, in case you see this, my question was 'which artist at double negative started the painting that you completed for Riddick?' you mentioned on your site that you would be happy to credit them if anyone asked, and i was quite interested.

Thanks

Nick

Digital Matte Painter // Forum Moderator
(#28)
Old

Default 02-13-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space-sprayer
Did i miss something? This talk on new Dylan Cole dvds, is there something planned for release in the near future?!? :D
Not that we know. I guess it's just wishful thinking but if we say it enough maybe he'll get the hint, lol.

My Blog: -http://ventanastudios.blogspot.com-
(#29)
Old

Default 02-13-2008, 01:50 PM

Suirebit and Spacesprayer- I'm really sorry about the lack of email response and I apologize to anyone else who has not heard back from me. I have a giant folder of emails to respond to that just piled up last year. It was a wild year of ups and downs and I am playing catch up on everything right now. I am working through the emails and you will get a response from me sometime.

As for dvd questions, I am starting a new thread......
(#30)
Old

Send a message via MSN to s0nkite
Default 02-13-2008, 02:31 PM

Dylan is very nice to have you here again!
you know that the images are stuning!
I would love to see you more often in here!
thanks
and wow are you going to release one more Dvd? THAT SOUNDS SO CRAZY!!!! cant wait!

Imagination, use it as a weapon
myspace.com/sc0ttk