Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > Articles
Reload this Page Greeble
Articles Tips and Articles

(#11)
Old

Send a message via ICQ to Defonten
Default 05-16-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Then I made a multi-sub material using 50 slots for building sides and the next 50 slots for roofs and assigned that one material to the mesh. Setting up the material was a bit manual and tedious but in the end it seems to work okay. I'd like to be able to control the height of the builldings by a greyscale map to create city enters and also control the density with another. I woull also like to scatter water towers and air con etc on top of the buildings too which should be fairly simple to do with scatter.

I'll see if Grant has time to help me out.
That would be great! That's where I'm stuck the most - to randomly sort IDs for roofs and for buildings along the whole city. Its definitely not the thing to be done by hand.. As I lamely understand it the script

1. Distinguishes top\side geometry based on the normal direction relatively given ground plane.

2. Divides total number of Rooftop and Wall polys by 50 resulting in approximately 30 or 40 same buildings scattered randomly around the city (wall combinations and roofs may vary though).

May sound quite lame but I try to understand the way it works ) Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
(#12)
Old

Default 05-17-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defonten
That would be great! That's where I'm stuck the most - to randomly sort IDs for roofs and for buildings along the whole city. Its definitely not the thing to be done by hand.. As I lamely understand it the script

1. Distinguishes top\side geometry based on the normal direction relatively given ground plane.

2. Divides total number of Rooftop and Wall polys by 50 resulting in approximately 30 or 40 same buildings scattered randomly around the city (wall combinations and roofs may vary though).

May sound quite lame but I try to understand the way it works ) Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Nearly right. Greeble selects the roofs which grant's script saves as a selection set. Then he expands the selection which then includes the walls so the whole building is selected. He then gives each building a unique ID and then re selects just the roof polys and randomly assignes them an ID the result (when face mapped) is 50 random varieties of building with 50 random variety of roof maps.

Glenn.
(#13)
Old

Send a message via ICQ to Defonten
Default 05-19-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Nearly right. Greeble selects the roofs which grant's script saves as a selection set. Then he expands the selection which then includes the walls so the whole building is selected. He then gives each building a unique ID and then re selects just the roof polys and randomly assignes them an ID the result (when face mapped) is 50 random varieties of building with 50 random variety of roof maps.

Glenn.
Thanks Glenn, let me know if there's any possibility of Grant sharing his super script!
(#14)
Old

Default 05-19-2008, 09:25 AM

This is great! Its really cool to see the uses you are putting greeble to, especially as i hear so many people being warned away from it.
I think the results you guys are getting are fantastic, i really look forward to seeing the kind of results you can achieve in shots using this method. Ill definitely keep this technique in mind if any shots like this arise.

Thanks for sharing! Its great to see this forward thinking.

Nick

Digital Matte Painter // Forum Moderator
(#15)
Old

Send a message via MSN to imothep85
Default 05-19-2008, 12:20 PM

very great tutorial grassynoel, thanks!!
(#16)
Old

Default 05-19-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassynoel
Then I made a multi-sub material using 50 slots for building sides and the next 50 slots for roofs and assigned that one material to the mesh.
A 100 slot multi sub object material!!! That must take an age to set up and again to load each time you open the file. How does the script differentiate between roof and wall, is it down to direction of normals and face orientation? (edit: sorry, just read the answer to that in the earlier posts, I promise to pay more attention in future)

Looks amazing, water towers and masts will look great if you do that too. Will we also get to see clouds and a helicopter buzzing past below?

Jim
Re: Greeble
(#17)
Old

Default Re: Greeble - 07-01-2008, 04:15 PM

Great process guys
I was wondering if you could give a short rundown of the c4d setup Justin
(#18)
Old

Default 07-14-2008, 03:20 AM

Wow, great job. I really like the results, and to get the basic geometry in place seems to be a rather simple task in Max. Not sure how I'd do it in Maya, though.

But you know what's funny: there are some buildings on the bottom left dangling head down from the edge of the plane. Is that the Australian community (Colonia Antipodia)? ;-)

Last edited by renderizer; 07-14-2008 at 03:23 AM..
(#19)
Old

Default 07-14-2008, 03:55 PM

This thread made me realise i need to scrub up on my 3d knowledge. Some great info in this thread!

Digital Matte Painter // Forum Moderator
(#20)
Old

Default 07-22-2008, 07:51 AM

grassynoel, i havent seen you on vray forum for a while. still using it?