MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > General Discussions
Reload this Page What do you want from Gnomon DVD's on matte painting?
General Discussions News, Chat ...

What do you want from Gnomon DVD's on matte painting?
(#1)
Old

Default What do you want from Gnomon DVD's on matte painting? - 01-31-2005, 09:29 PM

I am doing some matte painting DVD's for Gnomon and I want to know what you are looking for. What did you like/dislike about Dusso's? What do you want to see?
(#2)
Old

Send a message via MSN to intrinsia
Default 01-31-2005, 10:26 PM

I really enjoyed watching and learning from Dusso's DVDs and I'm looking forward to seeing your's as well; you have done some pretty amazing stuff.

One thing I would really like to see is a composition that is derived from multiple photos references. Something where you are given lots of reference and you have to go through and pick what you think would work in a painting; basically what are you looking for in those references images that makes you decide to include it in a piece of work. (is it the lighting, tones, etc)

A display of how you build your point of perspective for a painting would be great to see. A view into the concept and setting up of a painting I guess you could say.

Lastly some general tips'n'tricks you've come up with over the past few years when working on your paintings. As with any type of software, people have different ways of doing things that either speed up or enhance the creative process.

hope this can be of some help :)

(#3)
Old

Send a message via AIM to B. Kachel Send a message via MSN to B. Kachel
Default 01-31-2005, 10:33 PM

I would just like to see your approach, maybe how much photo intergration you use, combined with painted elements. Maybe just an entire 2D painting without a 3D element. I don't know, but anything you throw at us would be great.

Thanks for asking
-Brandon Kachel

Brandon Kachel
Matte Painter
bkachel.com
Re: What do you want from Gnomon DVD's on matte painting?
(#4)
Old

Send a message via MSN to jcdlr Send a message via Yahoo to jcdlr
Default Re: What do you want from Gnomon DVD's on matte painting? - 01-31-2005, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
I am doing some matte painting DVD's for Gnomon and I want to know what you are looking for. What did you like/dislike about Dusso's? What do you want to see?

Hi Dylan,

I got both of Dusso's dvd matte painting techniques and I think what was lacking in those dvds was the Technical aspect of how to approach and create a matte painting. The dvds were more focused on seeing Dusso paint and lacked some verbal explanation.

I compared the DVDs of Dusso to those of Feng Zhu and Feng had more content that he explained about how he proceed doing his work and what tools he used for certain effect and to what degree.

I think both dvds that Dusso did were for students that were more advance in practicing the art of matte painting.

I myself am a beginner at matte painiting and I think the dvds were more of an overview of the art itself than a DVD Tutorial.

It would be nice to have a set of custom brushes that could be in psd format on the dvd so that we could download it and use the same brushes that you use or at least have a good set of brushes for beginners to start painting with. Maybe add a little text file explaining what brush is used for what purpose or for what effect. Also to incorporate the same photos and psd file on the dvd from which you will work with.

It could be cool to know where you guys ( Pros ) get all those big resolution photos ?

Could you give us cool links to where we could get nice big photos.

What techniques do you use in creating matte paintings ? Meaning what is the first thing that you do when you approach a matte painting. Is there a certain way to set up your work ? Basicaly, What is your thinking process as you work ?

Give some hot and important Tips, Tricks and Shortcuts.

The following could be a quick overview of what to expect in a portfolio:

What sort of Portfolio set up would you recommend ? How many matte paintings should there be in a portfolio and what kind of matte would you recommend putting in a portfolio? ( more landscape work ? more city shots ? set extensions ? etc... )

In conclusion, I think us beginners would like to have more verbal knowledge about how you do stuff and why you do it that way. To see what kind of brushes you use and why you use a particular brush instead of another one. To have access and practice with the brushes and photos that you will use for your demo Tutorial.

I know that these are probably allot of things to ask for but I think you get the idea of what I'm trying to explain.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for sharing your knowledge in your future DVD's :)

Jean Claude de La Ronde,
Freelance Illustrator

I'm chillin like a Villan!
(#5)
Old

Default 01-31-2005, 11:33 PM

Hi Dylan, ... maybe some brush settings ... but anyway I'll buy this DVD
thanks
more than Dusso
(#6)
Old

Default more than Dusso - 01-31-2005, 11:34 PM

I liked Dusso's DVD's a lot. I preferred the first one because of his use of gradient, and flopped image techniques. I was less interested in the restrictions he faced with photo integration, than with his direct sketching. He is brilliant at that.

I would like to see more discussion as to the "Why." Why specific techniques are used, and how they solve specific problems with integration. Pure painting has to exist, but often I am not faced with that. Integration, and problem solving are paramount, and any technique that I can add to the list is worth the money and time.

JB

Use the Big Brush
(#7)
Old

Default 02-01-2005, 01:56 PM

I'm a sponge with anything to do with matte painting so there's no limit to the amount of information you can give us ( picture that ILM intern you once was being "overly enthusiastic" :)).
No need I think to touch upon the basics of composition. Maybe color to achieve a mood. But the basics can be learned by taking a few fine art classes.

I am interested in your methods of..
texturing. texturing. texturing.
-how you achieve real world elements when photo stock of what you need isn't avail or there's no time to search for references. (variations or rock, water, vegetation, sky effects) in regards to perspective too. Ex. your Sky Capt. matte..I'd like to know how the ground was done-the vegetation near and far. Your riddick paintings of that alien rock surface. the smoke plumes. Cloudscapes of various kinds. using PS to help you create these things or how a photo can be a starting point for the rest hand painted. Brush settings, layering etc.

Dusso's dvd's were great. Just as a starting point. He didn't get up close and personal with the details of a given piece in the matte. Which is fine because the pieces he chose to do didn't require it. I just expect it to be covered in another of his dvd's. This piece of his...http://www.dusso.com/images/pg01/PG01.JPG
The stonework on the buildings...the vegetation in the foregroung and background..how all this was done would be cool.

I just hope you'll be producing more than 2 dvd's.
Like I said. The more the merrier.
We all want to know how you created your commercial work basically. Too bad you can't use them in your dvd's :(

The one thing I wasn't impressed with ( something you can't control ) was the picture quality of the video...Kinda like seeing your SkyCapt. matte in the movie.lol. Degrades your amazing work.

If I think of more i'll post em :)

+smooth+
(#8)
Old

Default 02-01-2005, 02:05 PM

I Second all of the above and please do them in real time Dusso's was double speed and hard to follow. I was expecting more for my money. I agree abot Feng he is very explanitory on his every move.
Thanks And Im Looking forward to them.
(#9)
Old

Default 02-02-2005, 01:57 AM

Dusso dvd was great.
double Speed was good ... only reason he did that was to give us more content.

Some brush tips would have been handy ... settings etc.
Brushing in detail some specific things ... like smooth pointed out earlier.

I'm looking foward to your dvd's aswell.
(#10)
Old

Default 02-02-2005, 02:35 AM

Like all the above I do enjoy Dusso's DVD's but would love there to be more detail on technique and how and why of the method. Please don't go too far in the opposite direction (compared to the Dusso versions) and produce a Photoshop tutorial.

Double speed wasn't too much of a problem I thought. If I wanted to see something again in realtime I just played it back at half speed.

I look forward to seeing the finished article - any ideas yet as to when it might be released?

JM

PS Oh and it would also be good to see more of the finished work maybe as an added JPEG or something similar at full size. Something to zoom in on.