MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > General Discussions
Reload this Page What do you want from Gnomon DVD's on matte painting?
General Discussions News, Chat ...

(#21)
Old

Default 03-01-2005, 05:03 AM

With modern paintings utilising many techniques, I'd like to see a painting broken down into
its various elements, be they photography, painting, 3D etc.. and then how these are all
brought together seamlessly. Obviously any little shortcuts or tricks would be useful but Im
mainly interested in seeing how you work with light and colour, and your approach to the
mood and atmosphere of the painting. Maybe at the end you could go over some of your
thoughts on what makes the difference in quality between a student painting and that of an
industry professional. Coupled with common errors that you've seen beginners make.

What sort of release date are you looking toward Dylan?

Best of luck with it
(#22)
Old

Default 03-11-2005, 06:05 AM

Bump.

Dylan - Seeing your "Lava City" piece in the other forum (along with pretty much everything else you've been generous enough to post here) has really gotten me curious as to your approach to your future tutorial DVDs.

You have a slew of suggestions within this thread - many contradictory, but all eager to learn from your work.

Any word yet on how you might plan on approaching the DVDs?
(#23)
Old

Default 03-11-2005, 09:53 AM

I want to see the planning steps before doing the mattepainting.
Reasons behind the actions
I also want to see production challenges, such as dealing with distorted, grainy and blurry footages.
(#24)
Old

Send a message via MSN to plaf
Default 03-11-2005, 10:27 AM

I'd really like to see a classical matte painting (well, as classic as it can get while still being digital), done without 3d objects or photos, from start to photorealistic finish.

THAT would be awesome.

Dusso DVDs
(#25)
Old

Default Dusso DVDs - 03-13-2005, 09:03 AM

I have and love the Dusso DVDs, my matte paintings have gone from good illustrations to almost photoreal.
The most complex thing is colour and creating a balance.
Covering that would help more.
Dusso just picks the right one without explaining.
I suppose because it looks right!?! Were not that good yet, and would like to know why. Colour theory etc..

Covering oblique, aerial perspectives and getting a sense of 'epic' in your matte painting would be nice. Mine always seem a little closed.

A range of paintings; industrial in the day!
Forests and valleys at night w/mountains in the background.
Underground city in the caves. <weird lighting.

I think you shouldn't bother with brushes as you can make your own in photoshop. I have loads of cool ones already.
Infact I wouldn't use anyone elses.

I squint to see distant objects.
(#26)
Old

Default 05-04-2005, 10:17 AM

Hey all,

Sorry for the complete lack of updates and news regarding my dvds. We had a lot of technical hurdles to jump through to do these DVD's properly. I am doing editing and audio this week. I don't want to announce an official release date, because things are always changing.
I have read all of your comments and I am taking as many of them to heart as I can. Thanks again for all of the great suggestions. I think most of you will be very happy with these dvd's. I am doing three total right now. The first two are introductory, one on landscapes, the other on cityscapes. These will discuss both starting from scratch and from a plate. I will also discuss how to set up a painting and how to plot perspective. Each of these is around 3 hours. The third dvd will be a full on, giant matte painting. I recorded over 17 hours for this one and it got sped up and edited down to just over 4. I go into all of the nuts and bolts of photomanipulation, integration, etc. It will be fairly high speed, but will slow down to talk about certain techniques.
All the dvd's will include my full PSD's and reference photos.
Thanks for being patient.
More news soon.
(#27)
Old

Default 05-04-2005, 11:07 AM

WOW. Sounds VERY good Dylan!
3 dvd's to top it off.
Exciting, can't wait to see them. I'm sure they will exceed expectations as I can tell your very involved and care about them.
As it should be.

Are you working on paintings for The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe or Superman Returns? Those would be amazing to work on. They would be even better with a little D-C wow effect. ;)

+smooth+
(#28)
Old

Default 05-04-2005, 03:44 PM

I agree with Smooth, sounds like they'll be very useful Dylan. Wasnt expecting three, thought it would be 2 at most. Now...wheres that piggy bank? :)
(#29)
Old

Default 05-04-2005, 11:12 PM

Hoo my god i just cant wait :P the pain the pressure...aaiaiaia :P
(#30)
Old

Default 05-05-2005, 01:29 AM

I think the problem is that you're essentially trying to merge 3 different categories that comprise teaching DVDs:

1. The artists interpretation of the creative process at hand
2. The viewers anticipated level of knowledge in design theory by the artist
3. The viewers anticipated level of knowledge of the software used by the artist

Each category could take volumes to anticipate. No one has that much time to spend on selling a DVD that will sell for $69. Additionally, in my case, some artists can only work at a certain speed that coincides with the needs of their own developed processes. If I can't do it quickly without much interuption, I trail off, click close, don't save. Hmmm, then again that's why people like me don't succeed, but I sure seem to think I know what I'm talking about sometimes.

don't listen to this guy