HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > General Discussions
Reload this Page Charles Darby
General Discussions News, Chat ...

Charles Darby
(#1)
Old

Default Charles Darby - 02-01-2005, 03:18 AM

Now resident matte painter at Rushes - Soho London. I just spotted the new section on the Rushes site (http://www.rushes.co.uk)

Never seen a post production house profile a matte artist like that before. Nice showreels, interesting sketches too.

Justin Atkinson (was Eisner)
----------------------------------------------
Matte Painter / VFX Artist
(#2)
Old

Default 02-23-2005, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the link, Eisner. I've checked out some of his work out at Digital Domain. Awesome! Very true what you say about the rare exposure of matte painters. Why do you think matte painters overall get so little exposure and credit?
(#3)
Old

Default 02-24-2005, 02:48 AM

Hi Max,

My Thoughts:

I think matte painters are just another cog in the post production wheel and there are so many cogs in that wheel that there would be too many to credit etc. It's only in places like this where matte artists exist in thier own right.

I personally think it's better this way, finding quiet exposure and credit here amongst industry pros and students.

I was actually surprised by the CharlesDarby's profile on the Rushes site because it seemed a little too ego-tystical in comparison to what I have seen here. But then that's the company pushing a new side of the business which they never had before, and who can blame them, Framestore is merely a few doors away.

Justin Atkinson (was Eisner)
----------------------------------------------
Matte Painter / VFX Artist
(#4)
Old

Default 02-26-2005, 06:44 PM

Also, compared to other post production artsists, matte painters make up a small percentage, which means less buzz.

I personally don't mind some exposure, if it leads to more work, especially in Los Angeles. Gotta love English understatement though! I wish it was a virtue here...
(#5)
Old

Send a message via AIM to jsbaxter Send a message via Yahoo to jsbaxter
Default 05-09-2005, 11:27 PM

hay there.
I use to work for Charles Darby while he was in Holloywood. Before h went back to Europe. From there I worked with Roger Kupulian and Ben Procter. One artist thats not appart of this group, some of you other professionals may know is JP Roy. Another fab artist who I hated to see leave the facilities. We tried to keep him as a staff artist, but he had a showing of artwork in NYC after his gig with us.