MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > Articles
Reload this Page Digital Painting over Photo!!!
Articles Tips and Articles

Digital Painting over Photo!!!
(#1)
Old

Default Digital Painting over Photo!!! - 10-20-2004, 05:44 PM

Hi people...

Well, I would like to talk about a technic that i found to be very intersting to me. It`s to paint over a photo. As i saw in others posts, the reference is very important to work as a matte painter, so to simplify, a photo is what we are talking about.

Here is my latest work that I did using this technic. I've used basicaly painter program and used photoshop only for image adjusting and add noise filter. I have a wacon tablet that helps a lot too.

So, I wrote a tutorial about this painting but I will translate it to english!!!

http://www.dinfo.com.br/rodrigo

Here goes:

Hope you like it!!!
Rodrigo Frota

"Nada muda se você não mudar"

www.serdesigner.com.br
Re: Digital Painting over Photo!!!
(#2)
Old

Default Re: Digital Painting over Photo!!! - 10-20-2004, 11:56 PM

why not just use the photo? The extra steps to "repaint" the photo is completly wasted(at least in a production environment). Also , what if you're painting something that doesn't exist?Where will you find the photo to "paint over"? My word of advise, scrap the paint over and use the photo. I f you want an illustrated look, then paint the photo. That way it will look even more illustrated.
(#3)
Old

Default 10-21-2004, 05:27 AM

Hi Muni, well I agree with you that in a production enviroment it would be a waste of time, but maybe I didn't expressed myself well. When you work over a photo you work with some aspects that I think is important like:
- ligth and shadows
- perspectives
- color nuances
- development of observation

This kind of painting make you develop these things that are supposed knowed by a matte painter. So, it`s a step that comes before of the use of the photo by itself.

And of course, any creation that we make is based on things that we know, or have one idea. So in fact there`s no painting over something that doesn't exists.

"Nada muda se você não mudar"

www.serdesigner.com.br
(#4)
Old

Default 10-21-2004, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batera33
Hi Muni, well I agree with you that in a production enviroment it would be a waste of time, but maybe I didn't expressed myself well. When you work over a photo you work with some aspects that I think is important like:
- ligth and shadows
- perspectives
- color nuances
- development of observation

This kind of painting make you develop these things that are supposed knowed by a matte painter. So, it`s a step that comes before of the use of the photo by itself.

And of course, any creation that we make is based on things that we know, or have one idea. So in fact there`s no painting over something that doesn't exists.

If you really want to learn those things then you should draw and paint more from life to learn. You can also copy a photo , In which case you have to draw and decide color and value based on life. When you paint over , you won't learn as much.
(#5)
Old

Default 10-26-2004, 10:40 PM

SCARY-looking dog!!!

Actually, Emmanuel, this isn't a completely worthless exercise.
I feel an idea for a CHALLENGE coming on......

More later.

Rick Rische
------------------------------
Digital Matte Artist
(#6)
Old

Default 10-26-2004, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrische
SCARY-looking dog!!!

Actually, Emmanuel, this isn't a completely worthless exercise.
I feel an idea for a CHALLENGE coming on......

More later.

Definately not "worthless"! anytime you're painting is good. I just find that when you from life or a photo , it teaches you to really look at the values and color. When you apint over, you're constantly eye dropping the colors underneath, thus not really making you look and analize the values that are there. But again , any practise is better than no practise!