Introduction to Digital Painting in Adobe Photoshop®
The first DVD is more like Photoshop tutorial in 3 exercises, it covers variety of subjects including:
- Value, Color and Linear Perspective[/*:m:2nxn4w92]
- Painting with Shape, Quick Masks[/*:m:2nxn4w92]
- Separating Visual Planes, Using Photo Textures and Lighting[/*:m:2nxn4w92]
- After watching 4 hours of lecture in these DVDs I have to say that it was totally educational. It was not a show off of what an artist can do, instead it was all about explaining the tips, tools and techniques in order to use Photoshop for Digital Painting.
You cannot watch these DVDs with your set-top DVD player. But if you watch it in a high-resolution monitor or LCD, you can exactly see the tools, layers, brushes and all the details.
- With step-by-step instructions, Christian makes it easy to follow, and repeatable.
Beside some of his own techniques, there were also some techniques, which I used to use, but during the time I forgot about them and watching these DVDs refreshed my memory in those areas again.
At the end it can give a beginner the confidence and the tools to start painting more complex themes.
In fact the first DVD has 6 Photoshop® files which you can use to practice the same techniques.
- On the Second DVD
Advanced Digital Painting in Adobe Photoshop®
he uses the same techniques and spends about 8 hours to paint over a photographic plate and change it to a beautiful and complex concept painting.
- He shows how to use simple photo references as a base to design new vehicles and buildings.
He then shows how to use adjustment layers to control the mood and colors in the painting.
- In this step-by-step exercise he also talks about the combinatory play as a creative process which is sifting through data, perceptions, and materials to come up with combinations that are new and useful.
The Photoshop® file of this exercise is also available in the DVD.
My Conclusion :
- These DVDs cover a lot of the rules and fundamentals, which a digital painter should know. That’s why a beginner should watch the DVDs a few times to catch all the techniques that he is quickly talking about. And it’s definitely a valuable resource for those who want to create a base of knowledge in Digital Painting with Photoshop.
- I think there should be another DVD to complete this series with a set of instructions to change the concept design to a photo realistic matte painting ready to be implement in a live action movie.[/*:m:2nxn4w92]