HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > General Discussions
Reload this Page Art of Epi III
General Discussions News, Chat ...

Art of Epi III
(#1)
Old

Default Art of Epi III - 04-04-2005, 04:56 PM

Has anyone gotten the Art of Episode III?
I just picked it up today. If this book is a testament to movie at least it'll be a visual treasure trove, even if story doesn't meet expectations.
The book actaully divides art up into Pre-prod, Production, and Digital shots (ie. some matte paintings). Worth picking up although they crammed it full of so many images you don't know where to look sometimes. Wish they gave more 1/2 page/ full page spreads. George is quoted at back of book, "We're going to push the limits of Matte Painting."

-Eric
(#2)
Old

Default 04-04-2005, 07:26 PM

I picked it up on saturday and I have been druelling over it ever since. Though I have always been more excited about the art books more than the movies. This one more than any, this is probably the best collection of artists ever put to one purpose, Ryan Church, Eric Tiemens, Ian Mcaig, Feng Zhu, Dusso, Warren Fu, Sang Jun Lee, and that's just the ones I can think of offhand. Working in that dept. must have been Electric with creativity.

That 360 degree cylorama at the end is just awesome.

I agree about the image size, they should be much bigger. and I want more dammit. I hope George releases all of the Star Wars art now that his filmaking is done. I can't help but thinking that there are thousands of paintings that no one will ever see just hiding in his ranch. Dammit George bust that $&@! out.

Nick
(#3)
Old

Default 04-04-2005, 09:10 PM

I didnt know that was out already. damn.. Probably should wait till after I see it anyways. Seeing the concept art always blows my expectations ridiculously high. I am excited to see the work though. Tiemens work especially is always inspiring. Cant wait to see what dusso brings to the picture as well.

Brenton Cottman

Digital Matte Artist
(#4)
Old

Default 04-07-2005, 01:00 PM

A found a nice link on StarWars.com.
Tiemens' work looks really good.
http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/artofrev/

+smooth+
(#5)
Old

Default 04-26-2005, 07:35 PM

I just picked up the Companion Book to this the Making of ROTS, and I have to tell you this is by far the best "behind the scenes" book I have ever seen.
The author has done an amazing job chronicling the process behind these films. He is there for every step of the process and gives us an inside look into how George goes about making a movie, as well as some great conversations and moments of goofing around. There is so much info in this book it is staggering.
Not only did I find it interesting from a fanboy and fx artist standpoint, but I actually learned a few things that will be very usefull in my own filmmaking.
Add to all of this that this book is chonologically related to the art of ep 3 book, and you can cross reference between the two basically the whole way through the making of the film.
I have a large collection of these types of books and these together are by far the best. Normally I'm pretty down on the lucasfilm EMPIRE sucking me dry financially but these where definetly worth it, in fact aside from my 9X12 intous 3 this is the best purchase I've made all year.
My only complaint I said earlier but I will reiterate, They need more HIGH-RES images and lots of them.

Sorry for writing a novel but I'm kinda exited.
Oh ya, and I found out some spoiler info... ANAKIN goes to the dark side FYI. heh

Nick
(#6)
Old

Default 04-27-2005, 01:08 AM

I have the book since two or three weeks.
It is a true bible, full of pictures, more than the others one.
Really a condensed of amazing art!

The world is not enough.
(#7)
Old

Send a message via AIM to brad
Default 05-20-2005, 06:55 AM

Episode III was great.

Now that the movie is out,
we should soon see the mattepaintings on mattepainter's site...
(#8)
Old

Default 05-20-2005, 10:07 AM

Yes we could hope that!!!

The visual effect and the matte painting are so splendid, sublim, fabulouso!
LOL

The world is not enough.