Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > General Discussions
Reload this Page Multiple camera mapping in Maya
General Discussions News, Chat ...

(#11)
Old

Default 07-29-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfilmman View Post
When using a layered shader in Maya for multi-camera projections how do you determine which layer of the layered texture shader that each projection camera uses?

Edit: Rather how do you tell Maya to determine which layer to use from the layered texture shader?

layers are displayed on the surface of a mesh according to the layer order they are placed in the layered shader, in the attribute editor. Left being the bottom-most, and further right being on top of the preceding layer.

Does anybody know a good tutorial for this multiple projection alpha blend technique? I'm stuck at a few stages.
Video Tutorial on Multiple camera mapping in Maya
(#12)
Old

Default Video Tutorial on Multiple camera mapping in Maya - 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM

Hey Hypernova,
I just made a new thread but I guess I should post the link here as well. This is a tutorial for doing Multiple camera mapping in Maya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFAefWFLIBg

You can download the working files here:
http://www.gfryart.com/index.php/tut...matte-painting

Thanks
Garrett Fry
www.gfryart.com
Stay Connected: YouTube Channel, RSS, Twitter, and Facebook
(#13)
Old

Default 08-21-2012, 12:15 PM

This is something I struggled with for a long time...then I wrote my own tools, which started out a few years ago simply as mental ray shaders that blended multiple projections together based on painted mattes, geometry occlusion, facing ratio, etc. The tools progressed over the years to include a UI that minimized the iterative tasks of setting up the shading networks, and extended the capabilities of Maya's viewport feedback (among other things.)

I released the tools as a plugin suite under the name the Mattepainting Toolkit for Maya, which you can find here:

www.glyphfx.com/mptk.html

Though the tools aren't free, the most recent release from a couple weeks ago has an OpenGL layering feature that allows for the projections to be layered and blended (with embedded alphas) directly in Maya's viewport. There's a demo available on the site that is fully-functional (with the exception of watermarks), which should give you an idea of how the tools can help you with a multiple projection workflow. Here's a screen capture that shows the viewport layering in action:

https://vimeo.com/47070439

The projection blending at render time can take advantage of raytracing, through custom Mental Ray or V-Ray shaders.