MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page Clear Sky (first attempt at matte painting)
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

My works (first attempt at matte painting)
(#1)
Old

Default My works (first attempt at matte painting) - 08-17-2009, 05:34 AM

Hello friends!

I am really interested in this area of digital art and decided to learn it. Here is my first work. Sorry about the small resolution..I was searching for great pics at Google...there were large scale ones, but all noisy or low-quality jpegs

By the way, where I can find tutorials or some information about creating a good composition, using of lights and shadows and so on.

Last edited by Alex_Rezvoi; 08-18-2009 at 06:14 AM..
(#2)
Old

Default 08-17-2009, 08:07 AM

Welcome!

Something interesting in this painting. I like the feeling/idea of wast empty space and one last rope keeping the balloon on the ground.

My first quick notes (I don't mean to be evil, but finding smooth way to say things in foreign language is sometimes difficult):

- direction of light indicates that the Sun might be far left, behind the camera. Still we can see the Sun. Easiest solution might be just to remove the Sun.
- color of crass and rock is different at the levitating stones
- composition might be easier to read if you move balloon and the cliff below it 1/3 to the right.
- Why those sharp corners with levitating stones path? Maybe an easier s-shape or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Rezvoi View Post
By the way, where I can find tutorials or some information about creating a good composition, using of lights and shadows and so on.
This has been posted here before, but something about composition you'll find here:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/135/120/

Last edited by halen; 08-17-2009 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: added some comments
(#3)
Old

Default 08-17-2009, 01:41 PM

Thank you for reply, critique and a link =). I've found some interesting technique in the Internet and i'm going to try it within a few days. Sadly, but i don't have a graphic tablet, but i think this is not a big problem, i'm in good relations with my mouse =) Hope you will see my next works =)

Quote:
I don't mean to be evil, but finding smooth way to say things in foreign language is sometimes difficult
Oh, i see you're from Helsinki, then we're almost a neighbours, i'm from Tallinn

Last edited by Alex_Rezvoi; 08-17-2009 at 01:44 PM..
(#4)
Old

Default 08-18-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Sadly, but i don't have a graphic tablet, but i think this is not a big problem, i'm in good relations with my mouse =) Hope you will see my next works =)
I'd still recomend even the cheapest Wacom (I've got one, but saving money for new Intuous). After couple of weeks of training it makes a difference and there is no way back to just using mouse when painting or manipulating photos.

Quote:
Oh, i see you're from Helsinki, then we're almost a neighbours, i'm from Tallinn
Tallinn really is quite near and easy to visit from here. I've visited Tallinn some times and have also some friends there. Love the old town, just to walk around with my camera. ;-)
(#5)
Old

Default 08-18-2009, 06:31 AM

Here is a sketch for a second work (it's some kind of Ultimate weapon, a huge planetary cannon). If you allow, I leave it here instead to make a new thread.
Damn, now it's so hard to find good reference pictures.

(#6)
Old

Default 08-18-2009, 11:52 AM

-___-
(#7)
Old

Default 08-18-2009, 01:41 PM

And the last one for today %)

(#8)
Old

Send a message via Yahoo to metalrahul Send a message via Skype™ to metalrahul
Default 08-18-2009, 08:13 PM

I think you should take your time, get some good references, establish proper perspective and depth then add textures.

Comper / Matte Painter
rkvfx.com

my freaking blog
raysinblue.blogspot.com
(#9)
Old

Default 08-19-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalrahul View Post
I think you should take your time, get some good references, establish proper perspective and depth then add textures.
Man you are posting fast, so I agree (but the textures are not bad at all). ;-) So many times I've had bad composition or perspective at the start, but didn't care and then when finishing the image it starts to bug, and only thing you can do then, is to start all over...

This image has currently quite flat (tele -like) perspective, maybe some wider angle to emphasis the scale and something with familiar size (humans, roads, forest, other buildings) so that viewer knows how huge that weapon is.

You could also decide the direction of light (propably from the weapon) and use opposite colors in the shadows (not just darker reds).
(#10)
Old

Default 08-19-2009, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the tips)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halen View Post
So many times I've had bad composition or perspective at the start, but didn't care and then when finishing the image it starts to bug, and only thing you can do then, is to start all over...
I'm always working like that) Let the picture be with mistakes, but I consider them and the next work will be without those flaws