Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page Fun project matte.. Antartica Dew
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

Fun project matte.. Antarctica Dew
(#1)
Old

Send a message via Yahoo to metalrahul Send a message via Skype™ to metalrahul
Default Fun project matte.. Antarctica Dew - 08-18-2009, 02:28 AM

This is a quick mattepainting done during my free time at work.

References

Any comments would very much appreciated :)
Rahul

Comper / Matte Painter
rkvfx.com

my freaking blog
raysinblue.blogspot.com

Last edited by metalrahul; 08-18-2009 at 02:53 AM..
(#2)
Old

Default 08-19-2009, 05:25 AM

I know that this is fun project and free time is usually limited, but it also seems that I spend plenty of time picking on other peoples work when trying to avoid doing the hard and boring parts of my own work... ;-) And I know that you could make it a lot better so here are some comments:

I think that first you could have a stronger composition. Now the mains subject is at the middle and there is no time for viewer to let eyes travel to the subject. Also 1/3 of left part is almost meanigles space and river of ice goes staright and fast out of the picture. You see the difference in upper right reference picture where the lines in the ice lead eyes to the mountain.

Direction of light is unclear to me. Right parts of the image have light coming from right, but I'm not sure where it comes at the left and middle parts of the image.

You could add something to make stronger feeling of scale. Couple of explorers (with path of footprints) looking for mountain of dew?

blue in the ice propably should match the sky.

Maybe even a storyline? (even if it is something stupid and only in your mind it always makes easier to make decisions and have a stronger image). Couple bottles of dew hit the ground from space and are now freezing all the environment. Couple of explorers going to find out whats up... ;-)

I don't mean to be evil. Just having some time while can't do my own work.
(#3)
Old

Send a message via Yahoo to metalrahul Send a message via Skype™ to metalrahul
Default 08-19-2009, 08:27 PM

Hi Halen, Thanks a bunch for your comments, I really appreciate it. Now about the points you raised, I think you are correct about almost everything but about the composition actually I have plan to add some texts on right side when I do the final shot. I have plan to do a simple camera projection and little bit of compositing to make it more like commercial.

I think I will try to add more shadows on left to define the direction of light more accurately and fix blues in the ice. And finally as far the story is concerned like I said I am gonna do some text animation and maybe popping up of 3D bottles then text animation :D

Once again thanks a lot of for your comments and please feel free to to comment again :)

Rahul

Comper / Matte Painter
rkvfx.com

my freaking blog
raysinblue.blogspot.com