Reload this Page Matte Painting Hand book by David Mattingly
General Discussions News, Chat ...

Matte Painting Hand book by David Mattingly
(#1)
Old

Send a message via Yahoo to metalrahul Send a message via Skype™ to metalrahul
Default Matte Painting Hand book by David Mattingly - 02-28-2011, 11:01 PM

http://www.sybex.com/WileyCDA/SybexT...Id-290541.html

This is something to look forward to, maybe David can give us some early insights into his upcoming book?

Comper / Matte Painter
rkvfx.com

my freaking blog
raysinblue.blogspot.com
(#2)
Old

Default 03-01-2011, 06:03 AM

hmm. Over 400 pages of stuff sounds interesting. I was actually wondering what he has been doing, but it came obvious now. :-D
Digital Matte Painting Handbook
(#3)
Old

Default Digital Matte Painting Handbook - 03-01-2011, 07:24 AM

Hi Rahul--

I have been teaching matte painting for 7 years at School of Visual Arts and Pratt Institute in New York City, and I always wanted a text book for the class. I have students from different areas of study, so the early chapters introduce them to the tools in Photoshop, and they create concept sketches over a plate I provide. Next the reader is introduced to the basics of perspective, and with the concept sketch as a base, they do a perspective drawing. On top of that, a form painting is done, which is textured using photographic reference.

I dedicate three chapters to camera projection in Maya. Most of the tutorials I have encountered on camera projection were not detailed enough to get a student through the process. My chapters are broken down into a series of steps, with checklists and illustrations to keep a learner on track. At the end, the reader will have a basic camera projection of the project created in the early chapters.

In the last half of the books, I show how to take a scene from day to night, then summer to winter, and how to composite it in After Effects. After Effects is introduced to the reader in a tutorial fashion. I assume no previous knowledge of the program as the project is developed and brought to completion.

In the final chapters, the reader is provided with a moving plate of Manhattan to create a personal vision of the future. The scene was shot on a tripod from a skyscraper in Times Square. The student adds futuristic elements in After Effects 3D workspace, and animates it in 3D space. The final project is a culmination of all they have learned. They are shown how to set up a full 3D scene using planes in After Effects, and composite in two actors shot on green screen.

Sandwiched in between all the learn-by-doing lessons is a history of matte painting, and profiles of Michele Moen, Eric Chauvin, and Dylan Cole. My great friend Harrison Ellenshaw wrote an insightful introduction.

I wrote the book to be of practical use to readers without advanced painting skills. However, the advanced topics in the later chapters will be of interest to more seasoned professionals. The publication date is April 12. Here is an advanced look at the cover:

Thanks for your interest! Please let me know what you think of it when it comes out.

David Mattingly

"Art is not a matter of what you can see, but what you can make other people see."
---Edgar Degas
(#4)
Old

Send a message via MSN to plusultra Send a message via Skype™ to plusultra
Default 03-01-2011, 07:27 AM

gonna buy this.

are that all the lessons you've posted in here since a while? or is there much more inside?

regards j.c.
Book
(#5)
Old

Default Book - 03-01-2011, 08:31 AM

Hi J. C.
Those of you who followed my class have had a preview of the contents of the books. However, with 416 pages to demonstrate the projects, everything is worked out step-by-step in great detail to make sure every reader can complete the projects.
So yes, there is much more inside, but the structure is the same as my class.
David

"Art is not a matter of what you can see, but what you can make other people see."
---Edgar Degas
(#6)
Old

Default 03-01-2011, 11:26 AM

I'll also be buying this one. Thank you Mr. Mattingly!
(#7)
Old

Send a message via Yahoo to metalrahul Send a message via Skype™ to metalrahul
Default 03-01-2011, 09:04 PM

Looks very promising indeed, will definitely buy it! Thanks for the early insights David...

Comper / Matte Painter
rkvfx.com

my freaking blog
raysinblue.blogspot.com
(#8)
Old

Default 03-06-2011, 06:50 AM

It looks very interesting as for me. Added to my amazon basket

Alex Golovchenko | Concept/Digital matte artist
'www.b2bh.com'
Great!
(#9)
Old

Default Great! - 04-04-2011, 02:35 AM

It seems like this is the book I was looking for, although the publication date is April 12 I will be looking forward to get this book as soon as it will be available.
(#10)
Old

Default 04-06-2011, 09:05 AM

Hmmm, amazon is shipping this NOW for $30.00

My Blog: -http://ventanastudios.blogspot.com-