Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page Mountain Scene
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

Mountain Scene
(#1)
Old

Default Mountain Scene - 06-09-2013, 03:02 PM

Hey there,

I'm currently working on a mountain scene. I wanted to have it in a sunset style. The fog I painted by myself. Any suggestions for modifications? Please let me know how you think about it :)

I personal recognized that it looks a bit flat. So any tips to give it more depth?

(#2)
Old

Default 06-09-2013, 04:11 PM

Hello,

I really like the sky but you should definitely check your black values on the mountains. The closer to the camera, the darker it should be, so the mountains far away should be brighter.

If you fix your black values you will get a much better depth in this piece.

Take care,

-Alexander I

Alexander Isaksson, 20, studying Digital Graphics in Sweden.
(#3)
Old

Default 06-09-2013, 04:40 PM

The mountain in bottom right is not as sharp as the rest of the image.As objects get more distant from us, they become brighter and less saturated because of the atmosphere.You should lower the level of blacks in the distant mountains so we can see some detail in them.This is how you will create depth in your image.

Be careful of your light source.The sky tells us that the sun is somewhere on the horizon or below it, more towards left, but some of the mountain tops look like they're lit primarily from the left and some look like they're lit primarily from the right.Some are not lit at all.Keep your lighting consistent and simple.Try to predict where the sun will create highlights and shadows.

I also noticed the parts are not color corrected to match each other.For example, the mountain in the mid-right has blue shadow tone, but the rest have neutral or yellowish tone.

If you want to create a sunset scene, then the whole image should have a red-orange tone, maybe some magenta too.At the sunset, the sun is farthest from the Earth so the wavelength is larger-going towards red part of spectrum which will make the whole image warmer.
The clouds would also reflect some of that color.The fill light would also be warmer.Right now the clouds are greyish and that is, to my knowledge, more typical for overcast/pre-storm weather.The whole image has more of a dawn feel than dusk feel.