HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page Studies and Sketches
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

(#11)
Old

Default 10-28-2011, 01:22 PM

Hi Artun,

Hey, thanks for the call. I think you may be right. One thing I think I've come to learn is that fixating ain't it. I think alot of basics have been waiting on me. There's so much to an image that might not appear at the first look. I've been heading toward doing a lot of practice sketches just to try to better understand the basics. Not get so precious and to try to figure out that oh so important foundation pic.

I've been staying with painting because of a latent interest from years ago in the technique of matte painting. Some amazing things, as everybody knows. Obviously the industry has moved along. So I'm getting around to checking out the curiosity with the classic style as I can.

A more comprehensive approach would probably be good.

I guess my answer is that it would be great to have a full matte at some point, indeed.

Also, real life is there to get to. So much is time and what you can do.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll see where i get from here.

I should also mention, Mountain Ranges looks great. Good show.

Thanks again for the pointers. Talk to you later.

Joel
(#12)
Old

Default 10-09-2012, 10:47 PM

Hi to all,

I haven't posted in a while. Here's some things.

Looks like a ship galley. Not many windows. I'm adding designs to it. Finally picked up a Bamboo. Glad about that. And also getting to Sketchup. I think Blender might be the next thing.

Joel

Last edited by terrain; 10-09-2012 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: unfinished
(#13)
Old

Default 10-16-2012, 10:50 AM

I was thinking hodge-podge might work. Not really set up for it. Besides there's a table range on the other side. Design as a workable place wasn't the first thing on this. I'll just leave it as the original design. Spending a little time on it.

Thanks for looking.

Joel
(#14)
Old

Default 10-19-2012, 12:14 PM

working more.
(#15)
Old

Default 10-29-2012, 05:44 AM

I'll get this thing knocked out. I didn't expect to take this as far along. About as far as the lower left drawers. Still crashing a bit with the see-thru cabinets, depth.
(#16)
Old

Default 11-11-2012, 12:42 PM

(#17)
Old

Default 11-23-2012, 01:52 PM

Tweaks and fixes I could probably make. Noodle with some things. Don't know why the dang cabinet windows are still giving me so much trouble. But I think this thing is pretty much baked.

Thanks for looking.

Joel
(#18)
Old

Default 01-01-2013, 09:22 PM

Hi all.

Update.

This is what I'm working on at the moment. I'm trying to find time saving techniques. No base geo on this. Some lines and eyeballing it a little.

I darkened the near cabinets a little more to try to separate things. It was looking a little flat. Still not totally happy with that part of the picture.

These are color pencil sketches. In the field, sitting out in the wild and sketching what's out there. From life. The problem I find with that is that the light changes fast. Otherwise you could probably sit and detail it all day, more like with a photo. I should try a more static situation to find out.

So this thing is a project from last winter. Now, in case it doesn't show, no photo elements. Everything here is dabbed in with a paint brush in Photoshop. I'm working to find better techniques that I can use to finish it. Just about made me sick as a dog.

But, hey. The old methods worked like this. I don't know who's seen it, but this 50 greatest mattes page is great.

A whole country road setting done in pastels. Wow. Postman Rings Twice.

Actually, turns out somebody posted a link right here in the resources-general discussions thread.

http://www.shadowlocked.com/20120527...-all-time.html

Still stuck on this stuff. Doesn't mean there aren't things going on these days. I was looking at the Kon-Tiki sharks at FXG. The split shot of the whale shark below the boat and waves is just knock out. It's from another world, this stuff. Pretty soon they're going to start baking up real sharks in a lab next door and sending them to colonize solar systems. The discipline is getting so comprehensive now.

One of the things I found out from this house project was - start with a good design. A lot of time was spent reworking the house. Several stages. Have the geometry worked out first, even if it's just plans.

The scale of the base image actually does match the picture scale. It's just the house has been redone so much.

This has been updated.

Thanks for looking.

Joel

Last edited by terrain; 01-01-2013 at 10:07 PM..
(#19)
Old

Default 03-17-2013, 03:07 PM

Last edited by terrain; 03-17-2013 at 04:01 PM..
(#20)
Old

Default 04-14-2013, 06:12 PM