MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Artists Showcase
Reload this Page techart stuff
Artists Showcase Final, Finished Work Only (NO WIP, NO Critique)

techart stuff
(#1)
Old

Default techart stuff - 11-15-2011, 06:34 AM

Hi guys,

my name is Daniel Iulian Vijoi and I work as a Lead Artist at AMC Pixel Factory Bucharest, Romania.

I love making concepts and illustrations in particular but quite often by work involves matte painting too. Being a video game studio our work primarily involves processing photography for creating textures for environments, props, vehicles, etc

I'll start by sharing with you my latest environment, which is a magic landscape with giant trees (Avatar sort of). This latest piece which is called "Gas station 5" is not actually started from scratch, I started from a previous concept tree I've made. It was quite challenging because of the size of it, something around 12000px.
I've had to use texturing techniques used in games to make patterns and custom brushes for the foliage, canopy, clouds and the rest of the details. I'll upload them all here in this thread but the weren't created in this order.

Gas station 5

large samples

By techart1978

By techart1978

By techart1978

By techart1978

Back to the home tree

By techart1978

large samples

By techart1978

Hope you like them and crits always welcomed and encouraged.

Daniel

By the eyes of an artist the world is surrounded by art,enjoy your art!Techart
(#2)
Old

Default 11-16-2011, 09:28 PM

Beautiful painting. The gas station and the ship in particular are really well done - I love the design and the amount of detail you've put in.

The green foliage is the thing that bothers me about this image, though - it just doesn't read to me as being 'huge'. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but the tree looks no bigger than a regular one. All the foliage in the image is on the same plane too, which makes it look a bit like a cutout (or a platform game).

I'm guessing there is some CG base for the hard surface elements of the painting?

Great work

AJ

Head of 3D Digital Matte Painting: MPC Vancouver
Personal Website
(#3)
Old

Default 11-17-2011, 03:05 AM

I agree with Alex, the images are to big to be read in a good way, however your texturing work is amazing!

Nice paintings!
(#4)
Old

Default 11-21-2011, 05:20 AM

Thanks guys for crits, really appreciate them.. the only CG elements are for the gas station, which was 3D modeled and textured, and post paint it and added more details in Photoshop, the rest of them, environment and main ship were drawn..for some details from the ship I used some photos to start from...

this was more of a pipeline test which I probably won't repeat anymore because of loooong hours spent on it.. I'll give it a more "traditional" approach from now on :)..you know the saying: "the shortest path is the one you know"..is true you got to give a shot for some optimizing now and than but not as long at this one...

though..was a LOT of fun working on this one.

Best, Daniel

nice
(#5)
Old

Default nice - 11-21-2011, 08:29 PM

Your alien lifeforms remind me of the work of an artist from the"good old days" of Heavy Metal Magazine, Karl Kofoed.

Take a look at his "Galactic Geographic" book/magazine, I think you'll enjoy it.

http://users.rcn.com/kkofoed/illo.html
(#6)
Old

Default 11-22-2011, 09:23 AM

Thanks, :) I got inspired from one of my old character concepts: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/o/20...3d3d768646.jpg

Railway station hijackers
(#7)
Old

Default Railway station hijackers - 07-27-2012, 08:26 AM

Hi guys, just finished my latest illustration and I thought would be nice to share it with you.

This is the complete story behind the image if you have time, though recommended to better understand what's happening there.

The action takes place on a distant Earthlike planet called “Pya Bandari”, with perfect weather resemblance for humans. This planet is mostly covered by forests and she’s inhabited by a large colony of humans and small local indigenous cultures. There is also a species inhabiting a close moon which is using this planet as a source of mining for minerals and metals. The humans call them “the seekers”, and often they get to argue and dispute with natives on common issues like occupation of territories and such.

The majority of local population is being covered by harmless creatures looking similar with some earth monkeys, with superior intelligence though and well divided in small yet organized communities. Maybe the term “primitive community“ is more appropriate as they don’t own technology knowledge or something advanced but they’re pretty organized. Apart from other small tribes derived from some similar species with these flying monkeys, there are some weird aggressive creatures which are called “hole creatures”, which they have rare encounters with humans. They are called this way because of the specific features of their bodies which have “holes” in their chest and head. Though they are very dumb and not as smart as the natives flying monkeys, they learned how to steal and use basic tools and equipment from humans and “seekers”.

Over time humans used this planet only for traveling purposes and research, letting the seekers to deal with mining as they’re better specialized with planet’s geographical formations and they’re closer to bring the equipment needed. Humans built only few outposts connected by a single railway running deep into the forests of this planet and also connecting few mining fields governed by “the seekers”. Actually they’re using this railway to exchange shipping with seekers for their own share of rare minerals. Also humans are helping them to move products from the single important airbase on the planet to keeper’s moon and close planets.
In this image a couple of “hole creatures” are trying to hijack this shipment and steel whatever they can, using some flying devices stolen from “the seekers”. Even if the railway station is highly protected by air, land troops and advanced fences in the forest, rarely these creatures can get close enough using those stolen flying devices. They have some disadvantages though because their devices are quite slow, noisy and the distance to their hideout is really big. Those were used by seekers only for close distances on purposes like defense or work surveillance.
In this case one native flying monkey uncovers them with her loud shouts, making tower surveillance and land troops aware of a danger.

A railway station like this is crucial for one outpost as is the only safe connection method with the others, flying on these forests being way too dangerous because of unpredictable weather. All the tourists and travelers choose this means of transport as offers the opportunity to even stop and see other amazing places too.

The train called “Forest Shadow” is built and owned by a private company which they only have three of these on the planet. The third one is not mounted and is being kept for spare parts when needed. These always carry land troops for traveler’s safety, emergency team and scientists apart from regular tourists. These wagons are built entirely on earth and transported on site. The same goes for the station itself and other important structures of these outposts; everything is being built from large modules and only assembled on the planet.
Pya Bandari’s (which means “new port” in Swahili language) most important outpost is situated in a neutral weather zone of the planet where tall formations of mountains rise straight from the forest like some huge watchtowers. Those are the home place for some of the natives, depending on the age and rank in their communities they live upper than the others. Most of the natives are living at the canopy border. These tall spires are the main attraction of the planet, though no human is allowed to get too close.

Final image

Some larger crops

Everything is done in Photoshop, except those hole creatures in the lower right, which I first modeled in Maya and paint over in Photoshop.

All the finest,

Daniel