Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > General Discussions
Reload this Page Free Open Source Software is Future
General Discussions News, Chat ...

Free Open Source Software is Future
(#1)
Old

Send a message via Yahoo to menmyself
Default Free Open Source Software is Future - 02-27-2012, 10:00 PM

Free Open source softwares are booming. No License Fee, Easy to Download & Install, On-line accessibility & support.
It has opened doors to opportunities to work from home, saving a lot on time, money and energy.

Chroma & Luma is Life.

Last edited by menmyself; 02-29-2012 at 08:42 PM..
(#2)
Old

Default 02-28-2012, 10:18 AM

Hi Menmyself, I was a senior in high school when I first got my hands on GIMP and Blender--my intro to the world of "digital creation". I learned a lot from them and the transition to Photoshop, Maya, and other tools was probably smoother because of it. I think they're great for learning as well as for independent filmmakers, and I've seen some amazing work come from artists using them--I'll always be a supporter of open source.

That said, I don't think they'll completely replace the major software packages anytime soon, if ever. Though I'm not the most knowledgeable or experienced person to claim this. Just my two cents.
(#3)
Old

Default 02-28-2012, 12:53 PM

I think you are right to claim that Jadrien, the studios pour millions into developing custom tools and pipelines for their 3d software, to support their production needs. They will never just stop that and go for open source software. When Shake was discontinued, the studio I am at actually bought the code and continued developing it for a while rather than switch. Nuke made it impossible not to switch in the end with everything that it offered in the way of 3d tools, but had it not been for that, I think we would still be on Shake.

Having said that, open source is a great way to learn and is brilliant for students. The softwares are certainly getting better.

N

Digital Matte Painter // Forum Moderator
(#4)
Old

Default 02-28-2012, 07:29 PM

VFX Studios are run as businesses, and businesses LOVE the idea of 'free'. If open source software is the best solution to a problem, it will most certainly be used.

The fact that we are using maya instead of blender, and nuke instead of... um... Jahshaka(?) tells you that those tools are not entirely ready for production yet. This is despite the fact that the commercial packages cost several thousand pounds EACH. Open source simply lacks the support structure, and dedicated full time development for studios to make the switch.

I love the idea of open source, but the situation is unlikely to change anytime soon, at least with content creation packages themselves. Where open source has a definite - and enduring - hold is in the sharing of file formats and other low-level technologies. .exr, ptex, alembic, cortex and others are all examples of open source technologies released by major studios. Everyone then has a vested interest in these formats becoming widely supported, and that's good for everybody.

Head of 3D Digital Matte Painting: MPC Vancouver
Personal Website
(#5)
Old

Send a message via Yahoo to menmyself
Default 02-29-2012, 08:38 PM

Opensource software has opened doors for opportunities to work from home. An artist can deliver his task from home; saving time, money and energy.

Chroma & Luma is Life.
(#6)
Old

Default 02-29-2012, 09:56 PM

Working from home and the open source movement are two (almost) entirely separate issues. Both have their own - largely unconnected - problems, but it's the Internet itself that allows remote working, not the availability of free software. Lots of freelance jobs currently require the purchase of commercial software, and most freelancers do exactly that.

Head of 3D Digital Matte Painting: MPC Vancouver
Personal Website
(#7)
Old

Default 03-01-2012, 10:08 AM

i use open source, however jahshaka compared to nuke, blender compared to C4d sculptris compared to zbrush ( ihate z brush btw).

its all about expense not in the monetry sense but in the time sense, if a software can deliver quicker, and be stable in the middle of a pipeline it will be used.

open source cannot provide that guarantee, cue blendernation peeps giving me a hard time.

however, I use sketch up all the time as I find it easier than modelling in C4d.

so am studying C4d, and Nuke to get me by, six months later will be learning mari

Cheers Rich

HTML Code:
http://www.rockhoppervfx.luxipics.com/