HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Resources > General Discussions
Reload this Page Matt Yuricich passes away
General Discussions News, Chat ...

Matt Yuricich passes away
(#1)
Old

Default Matt Yuricich passes away - 05-29-2012, 12:43 PM

I just heard from Michele Moen that legendary matte artist Matt Yuricich passed away in his sleep at the
Motion Picture home in Woodland Hills earlier this week. I considered Matt to be one of the greats of traditional matte painting, along with Al Whitlock and Peter Ellenshaw. Although I never worked with him directly, he was kind enough to meet with me several times while I was working at Disney, and offer advice and council. He was an extremely generous person, and nurtured a lot of great talent over the years.
His work was seen in over 70 films, including Blade Runner, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Die Hard, North by Northwest , and perhaps most spectacularly, Ben-Hur.
More attention has been paid to the great geniuses of traditional matte painting in recent years, largely because of Craig Baron's book on the history of the art. It was a blessing that Matt lived long enough to see that his work was held in reverence by the new generation of matte artists that he inspired.

"Art is not a matter of what you can see, but what you can make other people see."
---Edgar Degas

Last edited by davidmattingly; 05-29-2012 at 07:08 PM..
(#2)
Old

Default 05-29-2012, 01:47 PM

Wow, really sad news, Matt Yuricich was definitely one of those names that stood out as being a giant of old school matte painting. I never got to meet the man himself, but I hope some time I will get to see some of his original works in person.
He left a legacy of work behind him that will live on for a long long time. Time to bring out Blade Runner again I think...

RIP

Digital Matte Painter // Forum Moderator
(#3)
Old

Default 05-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Thank you Mr. Yuricich for all the magic you bring in my life. Without people like you I would never work in the matte painting industry. Farewell.
(#4)
Old

Default 06-03-2012, 08:37 AM

I am away in Canada on photo assignment shooting some wildlife stuff just stopped off at a cafe and just been hit with this.

Many moons ago Matt gave me tons of advice when I started out, I was completely ignorant as to his status as a matte painter. His advice helped me out and was part of the catalyst to myself becoming a professional matte painter.

My wishes and thoughts go to his family, Matt left a legacy behind that will remain and when I see these shots I will remember his humility and and honesty and his support.

He left the industry a tome of work that brought wonder to people all round the world and a chance to escape in a fantasy for a brief time from the drudgery and pain of modern life.

Inspirational, and a brilliant artist,

I for one will miss you,

Rich

Cheers Rich

HTML Code:
http://www.rockhoppervfx.luxipics.com/