HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page First piece
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

First piece
(#1)
Old

Default First piece - 06-10-2012, 11:21 AM

Hello everybody, I've been working as a concept artist for the last few years and this is my first attemp at Matte Painting, the geometry was build and rendered in Maya and the rest is Photoshop work. Hope you guys like it, comments and critics are more than welcome :) Cheers!
(#2)
Old

Default 06-10-2012, 02:58 PM

Hi,

This is looking good. I think that you could make the background mountains darker. The sky has darker form shadow values than the mountains at the moment and it should be the other way around.

It's clear that you used a CG model as a base at the moment. I would advise breaking this up by overlaying photographic references. Dirt, moss more cracks. That sort of thing. The edges of the buildings are sharp in places so brake them up. The bridge stands out to me as a part of the painting which would benefit from this.

This is subtle but I think it may help. The sky has some blue in it, yet I would say more grey. So turning down the blue in the shadow areas may help you here.

I like the sun bursting through the clouds, a dark sky looks great.

Good work so far, I am looking forward to seeing an updated version.
(#3)
Old

Default 06-11-2012, 02:25 AM

[quote=Michael_Gardiner;40556]Hi,

This is looking good. I think that you could make the background mountains darker. The sky has darker form shadow values than the mountains at the moment and it should be the other way around.

I agree with that! I think that you are not focusing the attention on something in the composition since the lighting is almost the same everywhere, you should guide the viewer through the environment, try to play more with the lights and shadows, and the atmosphere.
keep it up!

Cheers