HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > Showcase > Work in Progress
Reload this Page 1st ever matte painting
Work in Progress WIP to Critique

1st ever matte painting
(#1)
Old

Default 1st ever matte painting - 08-19-2012, 02:39 AM

This is my first attempt at matte painting. I am a photographer by trade, and have been learning After Effect recently. While learning this, the door to matte painting was opened to me.
As this is my first, feedback would be appreciated. I am concerned that it lack any real subject (but is that necessary for a movie back-plate?). I am also finding it hard to know when to stop!? I really dont want to over work the image. I would be interested to hear anyone elses techniques on this.

Here is a selection of some of the photos used.

Thanks

Last edited by whitefrog; 08-20-2012 at 03:07 AM.. Reason: Uploaded reference images
(#2)
Old

Default 08-20-2012, 11:00 AM

Looks great! My only comment is maybe the grass is too green. Pops maybe a little too much.

I'd agree about focus if your intention is as a backplate. I'd also suggest maybe removing the smoke from the art and replacing it with moving footage smoke in After Effects.
(#3)
Old

Default 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Thanks Malak,

You are right, if this is to be used as a back plate, then the smoke would be an issue. In which case, i think making it into a stand alone image would be easier than cloning out all that smoke.
Does anyone recommend a 3d program for easy modeling/rendering into still images. Modo? Cinema 4D? I have a bit of experience with Maya and 3DS Max. But they are both quite intense and can take years to master.
(#4)
Old

Default 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM

yeah great start... agree with above, my thoughts would be to have a look at the edge of the far mountains and how light would 'wrap' over them from the sky, your ref pics show great examples. maybe lift the mountains 'blacks' just a bit more to push them away - more imposing that way and de-sat a bit. I can see it's in the original plates but it looks like the steam on the left goes left and the right goes right, a bit unnatural? it also feels like you have two suns... maybe that bright spot in the middle should go? lastly a suggestion to bring some snow back into the foreground to bring it all together. great painting - seamless. cheers dave
1st ever matte painting
(#5)
Old

Default 1st ever matte painting - 12-27-2012, 04:02 PM

My first time experimenting with 3D. Still not sure where im going with this!?