MattePainting.Org
HOME Gallery Store FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MattePainting.Org > MP Studio > Challenge, Contest, Workshop
Reload this Page Alien Cloudscape - Tuomas Korpi
Challenge, Contest, Workshop This forum is dedicated to Contests and workshops to challenge your skills and get a chance to compare your work with others within the same theme.

(#11)
Old

Default 08-24-2012, 11:24 PM

Thanks RG, very nice comments!

- It is true what you say about the small planet being closer. That is something I need to look more into!

- But I don't necessarily feel there's a problem with the horizon, at least not a very clear one. I hear what you say about perspective haze, objects being lighter in the horizon and air molecules. Aerial perspective might be another term to describe that. Yeah, objects in the horizon could be lighter, but in the initial concept provided by MPC the clouds in the horizon were way darker than the sky behind. So I tipped towards light hitting the top surface of the clouds more, and clouds being overall darker since we are mostly seeing the sides (which get no straight light at all).

We are also higher, way above the clouds and the air is thinner there. I have a bit more atmospherical gradient coming from the planet and clouds in the first concept, which I intend to get more into my final painting. I could apply a more clear horizon line however, or get some darker tones and/or more contrast in my foreground elements. I feel there always needs to be some logical transition from foreground to the background and it's not there yet. Tough challenge! :)

- It's great stuff you're saying about the different cloud layers. I also think the clouds should have different characteristics on each height and the variation isn't there yet.

- What I meant by fluffines (eeegh, bad choice of words) was actually more the transition of colors and how some of light is shining through the clouds. When you're matching colors you easily lose (or at least I'm losing) some of the color transitions in clouds, there are more saturated midtones in certain parts and so forth... So that needs some extra work towards the end. In other words, it still looks too much like a graded black and white image in my opinion.

Thank you for your insight really appreciate it. Cheers! :)

tuomaskorpi.com

Last edited by korpi; 08-24-2012 at 11:26 PM..
(#12)
Old

Default 08-25-2012, 07:41 PM

amazing progress man....looks like... you are one of the winners:-)

Goodluck
Girish
(#13)
Old

Default 08-27-2012, 11:45 PM

Nyc :) loving it......
(#14)
Old

Default 08-28-2012, 06:45 AM

Very nice work Korpi! This is diffidently one to keep an eye on. I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Also, great website and portfilio. Good Luck!
(#15)
Old

Default 09-02-2012, 03:02 AM

Great tones - I'm curious for more images!
(#16)
Old

Default 09-03-2012, 12:39 PM

Thanks!

I've been quite busy this week. Hopefully I get it finished by friday! :O

tuomaskorpi.com
(#17)
Old

Default 09-06-2012, 02:07 AM

Bhew! Here's the 3rd WIP.

At this point I did a lot of details on the bottom parts, but decided to tone them down a bit in the end. It just looked way too crowded and fragmented. I also did a version with more cirrus like clouds on the top "rings", but somehow it lacked the form I wanted to keep there. Eventually I went back to the original cumulus clouds I had in my initial sketch.

tuomaskorpi.com
(#18)
Old

Default 09-06-2012, 02:09 AM

And the final matte.

I did a lot of small fine tuning only visible in the 4k version, but I think the overall atmosphere is much more cloudy and soft now. Previous version had a lot of sharp corners and painterly details I polished away.
I might still check the saturation levels once I do some matching with our studio monitors, but other than that it's finished now :D

Bhew, what an effort. Great challenge :)

Thanks for you input, comments and critique guys! Good luck everybody.

tuomaskorpi.com

Last edited by korpi; 09-06-2012 at 02:22 AM..
(#19)
Old

Default 09-06-2012, 03:16 AM

i love it! :D
(#20)
Old

Default 09-06-2012, 04:12 AM

Great work, man. I think you could've spent a little more time on the background ( the planets and space) but anyways, it's still awesome! :)